UTSAH’s fight led to the arrest of three cops

UTSAH’s fight led to the arrest of three cops

Guwahati: Three Assam police officers were arrested today on charges of murdering a juvenile in February this year.

Former officer-in-charge of Bharalumukh police station here, Uma Bora, sub-inspector Azizur Rahman, and Tamizuddin Ahmed were arrested today following an investigation revealing that Raja Ali, a 13-year-old boy who was arrested on charges of theft, died after being beaten up by the trio in police custody.

Raja was arrested by Bharalumukh police on February 9 from the city’s Bhutnath area but he died in Gauhati Medical College and Hospital the next day.

From the police station, Ali was sent to the observation home and later admitted to GMCH after he fell ill. He later died in the hospital. His family members alleged that he was beaten up at Bharalumukh police station, as a result of which he sustained injuries and died.

After the death, Utsah, a city-based NGO working for child rights, moved the Assam State Commission for Protection of Child Rights, seeking an investigation into the role of the police in the death. It alleged that the police did not follow the provisions of the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection) Act, 2015, in dealing with three juveniles, including Raj, who were arrested in the same case of theft in a shop.

“Though the boy died because of health problems, the incident exposed deviation by the police in following the act while dealing with such cases. The three arrested minors were kept at Bharalumukh police station before being sent to an observation home in Boko,” NGO official Miguel Das Queah had said in his complaint.

The NGO also moved Gauhati High Court and the court called for an inquiry. The probe, carried out by assistant commissioner of police Pranjal Bora, who recently submitted the report, found them guilty of the boy’s death.

“The deceased juvenile was taken to the police station for one night, which had violated the rule. On the basis of the post mortem report and other evidence, it was found that the three officials were responsible for his death,” commissioner of police Hiren Chandra Nath said.

A case was registered against them under Sections 302 (murder) and 34 (crime committed by several persons with common intention) of the IPC. The three were produced in the court of Kamrup (metro) session’s judge, which sent them to judicial custody till October 30.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.